Monday, October 28, 2013

DIY: Lia's Headboard

My roommate Lia loved the headboard that I made for myself and asked me to make one for her. My only request was that she help me. In fact, that's the only rule I stick to. If you want something, then you get to spend "QT" (quality time) with me and we'll do it together. 

Lia and I went early to Home Depot and picked out "fence wood" for her headboard. We had everything cut (including the plywood) and then brought it back to our apartment. 

Side-note: remember your transportation. Thankfully HD in Marina Del Rey was used to people with small cars. Thank goodness for shrink-wrap! 



We built the frame (the exact same measurements/layout as my first headboard) and then attached the plywood on top.




Here's where the story gets funny. I absolutely love recycling wood... so I found a large crate in an alley and brought it with us to use for her headboard. The only thing is that you have to take out all of the rusty nails in order to use the wood. As we were pulling out the nails, my finger slipped and a nail went straight through my thumb. I actually saw the nail on the backside of my thumbnail...

Below is the photo of us before we started sawing, drilling, removing nails and getting tetanus. 


We continued on and ended up with a beautiful 1/8th reclaimed wood headboard and me with a bum thumb. 


The next day however, I woke up with a slight fever, headache and back pain. I called my mom and asked her to look in my medical file for my last tetanus shot. It was out of date, which means that I could have been showing signs of tetanus... or I could have just been hallucinating. Either way I wasn't going to risk it. Lia, being a good sport and supporting my decision to get a shot, decided to go with me and get a booster. 


We then returned to the headboard, sanded down the fence wood and carried it into her bedroom. 


It looks absolutely beautiful in her new room and she loves it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment