Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Upcycled: Old Barn Wood Headboard!

This was an idea I came across one day when I was on Pinterest. I had wanted to make a headboard for the longest time, but I did not know what exactly I was going to do nor how I was going to do it.


The above photo was of a bathroom wall makeover 
and I thought the idea was completely original and unique (at the time).

So, my dad and I carved out some time to go to  Oor-Reed Wrecking Company one Saturday and purchase some reclaimed wood. To my surprise, I was able to purchase all of the wood I would need to build the headboard for less than $50.00!


The most frustrating thing about building the headboard was the frame. My dad and I argued for about twenty minutes on how the frame should be built. I had already drawn up a sketch of my idea of  measurements and such, but he said that I drew a board below where it should go for supporting the weight of the wood. Eventually he won the discussion because I decided I didn't want to risk ruining the wood I just purchased! And he was right, of course!


After building the frame and attaching the backing, I was able to start laying out the design!


And finally after attaching all of the wood pieces, we have a very heavy, reclaimed wood headboard! 
It's awesome!


Here are two photos of it in my room!








1 comment: