Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Upcycled: My (Kinda) Blank Canvas

For a little while now I have been carrying around this canvas that was given to me. It was of a tree and was painted by a friend who disliked it after having painted it for her own room. 

Ever since then, I have always wanted to paint something for myself, but I couldn't quite figure out what I wanted to do. 

I have a few things that I want to paint--but out of all of them, this photo of French (I believe it's in French) words on canvas really stuck out to be my favorite.  


Now if you don't know, writing in cursive, with a brush and paint, is very difficult. And I think that's why I chose to go with this one--I wanted a challenge and I wanted to do something meaningful.

Since I speak Italian and love the language, I thought I would do a excerpt in Italian, but then after hearing suggestions from friends and family, I decided to do lyrics from Nickle Creek's song, "Doubting Thomas"--that way I don't always have to translate the text when questioned.

First I had to cover the canvas in white. 
(I left a little blue in areas so that there was a little color variation)


Then I started writing the text in colored pencil and then painted over it with black paint. 

I think I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Of course there are little words that I'm not too excited about with regarding my cursive, but all in all, I like it. 


And I think it looks pretty nice up on my wall :)


The next art piece I want to paint will be on a large rectangle cardboard cutout. 
That one should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment